Site Reliability Engineer
Signal is a revolutionary new technology platform built for analysing text and discovering market intelligence, developed in partnership with the world's leading academics. Our large-scale text analytics system unlocks knowledge and insight from unstructured textual data, enabling organisations to solve complex information challenges and providing a competitive advantage for our clients.
To date, Signal has raised $3.4 million in funding to help develop our product. Some of our investors include Frontline Ventures, LocalGlobe, Samos Investments, and Reed Elsevier. Reporting into the VP of Engineering, we are seeking an experienced engineer who has a background in Site Reliability (SRE), DevOps, Software or Systems Engineering.
You will be part of Signal’s development team who owns and supports their code all the way to production, including cloud infrastructure.
What will you be doing?
- Proactively monitor and enhance performance and reliability of our platform on a full stack level (from the application code to cloud infrastructure)
- Help to troubleshoot production issues
- Support the development team in tuning applications, runtimes, containers and systems
- Write code to implement tools, automate processes and to enhance monitoring
- Work with our development team for support and guidance on building deployment pipelines, increasing automation and security of our systems
- Architect and implement the next generation of our cloud infrastructure platform to support ongoing growth
- Shape and promote SRE and DevOps practises and processes to support a growing team
- AWS: EC2, ECS, Lambda, SQS, Kinesis, RDS (Postgres) and Elasticache (Redis)
- Elasticsearch: we operate and continuously enhance a large cluster at the core of our product
- Infrastructure automation: Terraform, Ansible, Packer and Python
- Monitoring and logging: Prometheus, Grafana, Fluentd and CloudWatch
You will be:
- Friendly, approachable and able to collaborate with both technical and non-technical colleagues
- Curious and eager to learn
- You strive for simple (but not simplistic!) solutions
- Experience with Linux system administration, networks, internet protocols (e.g. HTTP) and databases
- Automation skills (with existing tools or your own)
- You can work with a high degree of autonomy: you know how to manage your time effectively
- You are friendly, approachable and able to collaborate with both technical and non-technical colleagues
Ideally you also have experience with:
- Prometheus and Grafana or similar
- Elasticsearch or other distributed databases
- Performance tuning (e.g. JVM, Node.js, Python)
We’re a growing company, which makes it all the more an exciting time to join us - we recently celebrated turning four years old (How time flies!). We don’t currently have heaps in the way of fanciful corporate benefits but we can offer you the following:
- Competitive salary - you’ll be fairly rewarded for your hard work and contribution;
- Unlimited holiday entitlement - so you never have to worry about taking off that extra week to pursue your hobby or spending precious time with your loved ones;
- Company Macbook - having the reliable, quality tools to do your job is essential, and we’ll provide you with them;
- Flexible working - whether you have parental responsibilities, or just need some headspace, we’ll support you in making your working life more manageable;
- Opportunities to be challenged, grow, and develop in your role - progress is paramount, so you’ll receive the support and guidance you need to help you achieve your career goals;
- Snacks and fruit for days! - we’ll keep you energised with a mix of healthy and treats;
- Monthly team lunch - a team who eats together, works hard together, and stays together!
- Join our opt-in group pension plan (after passing your probationary period) - let’s not lose sight of planning for your future;
- Experience in a rapidly growing and diverse business - be part of something exciting, and be a key player in helping to shape Signal now and in the years to come.