Senior Data Scientist
Signal has created a platform for analysing text and discovering market intelligence. Our large-scale text analytics system (currently processing more than 2 million documents a day in real-time) unlocks knowledge and insights from unstructured textual data using diverse text analytics and machine learning components. For instance, we apply near de-duplication methods to group similar articles from different publications or entity disambiguation so that we can identify if, for example, a mention of “Iceland” refers to the retail company or the country. Our media monitoring product, built on top of our technology, is enabling organisations to solve real-time complex information challenges (e.g. “All the news related to IPOs of European technology companies”).
We work closely with world-leading academics in Information Retrieval and Machine Learning via academic collaborations and our visiting research program that have resulted in several publications and events. We are looking for researchers with a strong track record (e.g., publications, research grants, PC memberships, …), as well as programming skills in order to implement their ideas into a production large-scale machine learning system to continue innovating our technology platform and products. The selected candidate will work in our Data Science team, alongside other data scientists, data engineers and developers.
- Propose, design and implement data science components to improve our products. This ranges from reviewing the literature to the implementation and comparison of state of the art modes and also the proposal of novel models
- Work closely with developers and engineers to implement, scale and deploy new components to be part of our products.
- Supervising and coordinate visiting researchers (usually PhD students) and MSc students doing their master project at Signal.
- Being involved and advise other teams about how data science can be used to address different challenges.
- Represent Signal in academic or industrial conferences and other events, to promote our research and data science brand.
The ideal candidate will have a strong data science background with a PhD in a related field (e.g., Machine Learning, Artificial Intelligence, Natural Language Processing, Information Retrieval,...). The candidate should also be a competent developer with experience using ML libraries and frameworks with large datasets.
We are looking for someone who can understand our clients challenges, propose methods to solve problems, experiment with different alternatives to address it and implement a solution that could be deployed in production. Team work and learning are two of the pillars at Signal and for this reason, we are looking for individuals who are open-minded, inquisitive and have the desire to learn new skills from everyone in the company.
Desirable skills and qualifications:
- PhD in a field related to Data Science
- Knowledge and practical usage of machine learning libraries/frameworks (e.g., SpaCy, Scikit-Learn, TensorFlow, Vowpal Wabbit, Gensim, …)
- Development experience (Python preferred)
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to supervise and coordinate MSc students and external collaborations
- Published work on major international conferences or Journals
Nice to have:
- Elasticsearch experience
- AWS experience (Kinesis, Dynamo, ECS, …)
- Package with competitive salary and share options
- Large amounts of data: The World’s News will be your collection
- Interesting machine learning challenges
- Flexible budget available to attend learning and development opportunities such as meet-ups and conferences
- Company MacBook & Apple equipment
- Pension Plan (upon successful completion of 3-month probation)
- Flexible holiday entitlement
- Experience in a rapidly-growing and diverse business
- Flexible working hours
- Possibility to publish some of the research done by the team
- Sponsorship available for the right candidate (non-EU applicants only)
If you want to know more about the company and our research team, please visit signalmedia.co and research.signalmedia.co. For any questions, or if you want to know more about us, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.