Senior Product (UI) Designer
About Signal - Who are we?
Signal has built a world-class artificial intelligence platform that turns the problem of information overload on its head! It ingests millions of articles and posts a day from millions of sources, from news media to financial regulation. Using machine learning techniques it has become highly effective at stripping out the information within this content and aggregating it in a single platform. Users can monitor key people, places, events, companies and topics in real-time as well as track changes and measure impact over time, across more content than anyone could ever hope to read! How awesome is that!
It gets faster and more accurate the more data it consumes. With more data points to work with it can show past, emerging and future trends in real-time. It picks up on nuances and combines them to highlight the next big risk, opportunity or crisis that might affect organizations. It makes the unknown, known.
About the team:
The Product Team is autonomous and cross-functional, encompassing every role required to build and improve on our products in the way we best see fit. It consists of Product Managers, Software Engineers, UX Designers and Data Scientists. We are able to decide product direction ourselves, regularly trying out new approaches and technologies.
About your role:
We are looking for a talented Product Designer who will help us to create a new visual identity and design engaging experiences for our product, to join our cross-functional Product Team in London (Old Street) on a permanent basis.
As a Senior Product (UI) Designer you will be responsible for the visual style and design consistency of our product. We are looking for someone who can create designs that can support and augment user experience, someone who can create designs that are simple, meaningful and engaging, but not gimmicky, unfamiliar or overwhelming.
You will work with our agile Product Team in an iterative and collaborative way, helping to discover new feature opportunities and then turning them into rich user experiences. You will have a lot of autonomy to choose the appropriate tools and methodologies to achieve your goals.
In the next 6-12 months we will focus our efforts on building the best in class measurement product for PR & Comms professionals, helping them to analyse news data, spot new trends and anomalies, and create insightful reports. We will be applying storytelling onto data visualisations and there will be plenty of awesome challenges to solve, especially from interaction and visual design perspective.
There’s no such thing as routine at Signal. You’ll be switching ‘thinking hats’ frequently, but to give you more context, think: 20% establishing new visual identity for the product, 30% working on data visualisations and UI components, 30% creating mock-ups, interactive wireframes, interaction design, co-design sessions with cross-functional team, 10% user testing, 10% defining Design Principles, Design strategy and advocating UX and Design best practices across the organisation.
- You are a Senior Product (UI) Designer with at least 6 years of hands-on experience.
- You are proficient at core design skills - typography, colour and layout.
- You quickly visualize ideas with sketches, wireframes and interactive prototypes.
- You are passionate about pushing the boundaries of design quality.
- You care as much about aesthetics, as about usability and accessibility.
- You can effectively plan and conduct user testing sessions with users.
- You empathise with a user and have a holistic view of the product in mind.
- You have excellent written and verbal communication skills, can articulate your design decisions and explain the ‘why’.
- You are able to work autonomously, managing your time effectively, and taking ownership of your work.
- You can effectively work on multiple projects simultaneously.
- You understand and apply lean and agile methodologies to all aspects of your work. You can utilise an iterative method to enable rapid delivery.
- Competitive salary
- Flexible working
- Pension plan
- Unlimited holiday entitlement
- Company MacBook & Apple equipment
- Monthly team lunch